- Provenance: Morocco, 21st Century,
Handwoven by Fatiha Zin
- Materiality: 100% Wool on Cotton Warp
- Dimensions: 91" x 57" x 1"
- Heirloom: Due to this item's handcrafted or reclaimed nature, there may be slight variations or imperfect qualities that give character to this one of a kind heirloom
- Timeless Aesthetic: This item is ageless in aesthetic, avoiding obsolescence, limited use, or an otherwise shortened lifespan due to changing styles and trends
What Have We Here ?
ZZ sources many of its Moroccan rugs through the Anou Cooperative, an award-winning collective of over 600 artisans from cooperatives, associations, and workshops across Morocco. The Anou Cooperative is owned and managed by Morocco’s artisan community and is open to all authentic artisans committed to quality and transparency.
Moroccan artisans typically receive a meager 4% of wholesale revenue for their rugs. The Anou Cooperative instead pays between 60-70% of wholesale revenue to the artisans, with another 15-20% going back to the cooperative to help provide educational and business resources to their community.
How to Use It ?
The beauty of Moroccan textiles is that they could serve several purposes across their lifespan, from the quotidien as a rug for your day-to-day needs, or the more sacred and hung as a tapestry or work of textile art. We recommend paying attention to the motifs and colorscapes that were chosen with intention by the weaver and visualizing where such a piece would be best suited in your own home. If the choices are abundant, we recommend unfurling this work in the heart of your space, far from the dirt and chaos of the outside world.
Why It Matters ?
The Anou Cooperative, which employs the women artisans who create these magnificent textiles, has made a concerted effort to reduce water waste by as much as 25% during the dying process. In addition, the cooperative has started to incorporate solar energy into their daily operations in order to lessen their collective carbon output.